• Shooting Guns

Posted by Danielle "Dani" Liptak on February 26, 2020 at 8:13 pm

Have you ever shot a gun? Does your family own firearms? Have you been trained to fire weapons either for work or for personal reasons? Do guns make you uncomfortable? Do you live somewhere with strict gun laws or people aren’t allowed to have guns?

My dad is a retired police officer, so I have been to the gun range a few times. I enjoy shooting at targets but do not believe I could ever shoot at a person or an animal. I can’t lift my arms above my head, so I had to lean my elbows on the table and shoot with them resting.

Andrew Brinks replied 3 years, 9 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Leah Leilani

March 4, 2020 at 4:23 pm

I went to a shooting range once with my boyfriend and my friend. I shot a 22 glock because those were the lightest weight bullets. I missed the target horrible because of the kick back and my muscles were shaking lol. It was fun while it lasted but it made me extremely tired.

• Pete Barron

March 6, 2020 at 9:45 am

I grew up in the country so shooting was pretty common. These days I don’t like the noise or the loose power that some people like. I do feel uncomfortable when I’m around people who are “packing heat” as they say. If everybody having guns makes you feel more comfortable, then you would love living in Afganistan!

• Andrew Brinks

June 29, 2020 at 4:00 pm

I also grew up with guns and very much enjoyed it. Now I only get the opportunity to target shoot when I am out camping with friends. As both Dani and Leah mentioned I can really only shoot with the gun on a rest like tables, tailgates, or anything else that is the right height. I’ve had a great time with 22’s and some 5.56mm rifles due to the low recoil and general user-friendly-ness.

I’ve stayed away from shotguns due to the weight, length, and often difficult action. For pistols I care about how stiff the slide is. If it is too stiff then I cannot safely clear the gun.

I’d like to get into pistols or sub-machine guns for both target shooting and self defense. Self defense is the tricky one since appropriate rests are not likely available. I’ve been brainstorming some slings/braces that might be able to support a light and short gun from my shoulder so that my my arm is only doing the fine aiming. Has anyone tried anything like this?

• Leah Leilani

June 29, 2020 at 4:21 pm

Andrew, I wish I had known some of this info the first time I went shooting. I wouldn’t go shooting again unless I had something to rest my arms on. I don’t know who could help you find a better alternative to make shooting more convenient/comfortable except maybe someone who works at a shooting range? Perhaps there’s a hashtag for Shooting With A Disability and you can find someone who specializes in this niche?

• Andrew Brinks

July 8, 2020 at 5:45 pm

I hadn’t thought about the hashtags, good idea.