Muscular Dystrophy News Forums Forums COVID-19 and MD The Controversy of At-Home or In-School Education During a Pandemic

• Danielle "Dani" Liptak

July 27, 2020 at 6:19 pm

It is hard because there are arguments for both, but ultimately I think staying home is safest for the whole country. I say this not having children to worry about as a parent. I also know that some parents cannot afford to feed their children and rely on meals from school. I know some parents cannot stay at home with their children while they work. I understand that some children are in abusive homes, and their only relief is going to school. What about them? I try to think that although all those situations could end up with a child dead, I believe the coronavirus can harm more than just one child and family, it is a much faster and higher risk.

Also, more money needs to go into education for a genuinely inclusive at-home learning experience, that includes making sure all families have access to computer and internet, that children have the services they require especially if they have disabilities.

• Leah Leilani

July 31, 2020 at 3:45 pm

Yeah, at-home education does pose a big risk for kids with bad living conditions. If only we could actually count on Social Services to do their jobs correctly and accurately. I totally agree that money need to be put towards giving all kids access to technology for at home schooling.