Muscular Dystrophy News Forums Forums Support Groups Adults​ ​With​ ​Muscular Dystrophy The downside to rear ramped vans and handicap parking spaces

• ralph

October 30, 2019 at 12:16 pm

I can’t begin to tell you the problems I have seen with handicap parking spaces. Some people are just not thinking. But that goes for almost everything else in society. I was talking again to a friend today about what airlines put you through in terms of getting on an airplane. And I don’t mean wheelchair accessibility necessarily. It’s the getting on the shuttle bus when it’s a small plane and the shuttle bus is packed with people and on and on. All it takes is a smart person to figure it out, or even better to ask people like us who have to go through the actual motions.

• leah-leilani

October 31, 2019 at 3:54 pm

Yes, it should be required to consult someone with a disability or even a whole panel of people with various different disabilities and diseases their opinion when creating a device or system for them (us).

• stephen-myall

November 1, 2019 at 4:49 am

In my home village here in Ireland, I parked in a disabled zone and hadn’t noticed my disabled parking permit was displayed upside down (therefore incorrectly).

Because the warden had started writing the penalty ticket and  I even  after I showed her the details were valid,  I was still given and 80 euro fine.  I appealed but was unsuccessful.  There are other markings on my car and adaptations that show very visibly that the car owner is disabled.

I find there is more leniency in the USA, I used to travel back and forward there with work and they accepted my Irish Parking permit with no issues.

We have disabled parking bays in our village main street surrounded by high kerbs.  For some of them you need to take your life in your hands and travel on the main road (with cars, buses and truck) to get a low enough ramp to get onto the footpath (sidewalk).  I think this problem is world wide