Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Leah Leilani
      Keymaster

Last month, my family and I experienced something that we never imagined would happen to us. Someone deliberately set our house on fire. Everyone is alright, and we were able to put out the fire quickly to save our house, but the emotional toll has been a lot. 

Having never thought we would go through a house fire, we were unprepared as we rushed out of the house. 

Our front door wreath, which had been set on fire, was beginning to burn our door. I always park my wheelchair by our front door to charge at night because the outlet is close to my bedroom. Having asthma, I knew in the moment or two I had before rushing out of the house that it wouldn’t be healthy for me to retrieve my wheelchair. 

I am an ambulatory wheelchair user and was able to get myself out of the house with no issues, but I wonder if I’d still leave my chair behind if I couldn’t walk. For me, I made a quick decision that my chair was replaceable, and I wasn’t. 

What would you have done in this situation? Have you been in an emergency where you had to leave your wheelchair behind?

Pete Barron
      Participant

OH, ouch! You didn’t say why anybody would set your house on fire, but that is a major crime and should be prosecuted! I’m glad you’re okay and I’m with you (to Hell with the chair and let’s get out of here.) Things are replaceable, our health is not!

Leah Leilani
        Keymaster

Thank you, Pete! My thoughts exactly about the wheelchair. People always talk about what they would grab in case of a fire or earthquake. But in reality, it’s yourself and your family that’s most important. They did catch the person who did it and he was out on parole so I hope he predict he got quite the punishment.

Ian Narita
      Participant

Having been thru a house fire can be traumatic. Even if the damage is minimal.

Before I was disabled, my family and I went through a fire, and it was years to recover.

Mostly just kept going til we were back where we were.

One of the things I checked on when I got my first chair was loss insurance (at the time we were renters) for theft or accidental damage. Basically unaffordable.

I would hate to think about losing the chair.

Not sure what else to say.

Leah Leilani
      Keymaster

You’re right, Ian. It is been hard to get over. In fact, I woke up the other night thinking that I smelled smoke again and had to walk around my house to make sure that everything was okay. Jeez, it’s almost like which one costs more-the insurance or a new wheelchair? It’s similar to what came first, the chicken or the egg, haha!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2022 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account