Muscular Dystrophy News Forums Forums Mobility Aids and Medical Equipment Typing and Using a Keyboard With MD

• Typing and Using a Keyboard With MD

Posted by Leah Leilani on July 13, 2020 at 7:00 pm

Do you use a keyboard often whether it be for gaming, work, school or typical computer tasks? Does your type of MD make it difficult for you type and instead use a speech recognition software? If not, do you use any other softwares or products to assist you when your typing?

At this point in my life I still have the muscle strength to use a keyboard. I am not at all fast at typing and only learned to type at around age 12. Unlike my boyfriend, I can’t type without looking at the keys so I recently bought a lap desk for when I’m writing my articles on the monitor in my room. That way my posture is better and the keys are within my range of vision.

Ralph Yaniz replied 3 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Ralph Yaniz

July 14, 2020 at 6:45 am

I use a lot of voice recognition, but it makes so many errors that sometimes going back and fixing is just as difficult. I wish they could make something better because I would rather write something by speaking and then make some edits to finalize. I also find it less difficult to type on an iPad screen than to use a laptop where I have to hold hands/arms higher.

• Leah Leilani

July 14, 2020 at 9:22 pm

I find most voice recognition to be difficult to use too. If it was better developed I might use it more often but for now I would honestly rather use my limited energy to type than to correct the softwares mistakes. I agree that the conventional ways of typing (lifting up the wrists) is exhausting and needs to change. Have you ever tried using an arm rest specifically made for typing on a keyboard?

• Ralph Yaniz

July 14, 2020 at 9:42 pm

I haven’t and that might help. I’ll have to look those up. I’d like to use my Mac more but iPad has been easiest to use so far. But the pas is a good idea!