Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

“Vitamin D, found in fatty fish, juices and dairy, is important for overall bone health. There is scientific literature to support the hypothesis that DMD patients may benefit from vitamin D supplements due to their restorative effect on calcium levels which contribute to bone and muscle health.” MD News

Do you have low levels of vitamin D? Have you had a blood test? Have you heard of a correlation between muscular dystrophy and vitamin D deficiency ?

Ralph Yaniz
      Participant

I have LGMD2L.  I am also a big proponent of vitamin D and take about 10,000 IU on most days.  My levels had been around 40 but my last blood test indicated I was at 67 and my doctor said this was really an optimal level. From everything I have read, I would recommend to everyone that they get their levels taken and if they are under 40 for sure, and maybe even a little higher, to take supplements. I have also read that absorption is improved if you take it with vitamin K and magnesium. Maybe something to research

Ralph Yaniz
      Participant

Dani, Thanks for your question back and for me it was less about having an issue as it was about maintaining bone strength and just general health. I have read many articles about vitamin D and onset of illnesses  and between some of the stationary bicycle riding that I do and walking,  I feel that keeping my vitamin D level high will maintain strong bones should I fall.  I think the level I am currently at tells me things are good!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copyright © 2017-2020 All rights reserved.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account