Muscular Dystrophy News Forums Forums Support Groups Adults​ ​With​ ​Muscular Dystrophy Which mobility aid to use when traveling to new places

• Which mobility aid to use when traveling to new places

Posted by leah-leilani on April 15, 2019 at 4:30 pm

When going somewhere new and unfamiliar, have you ever left your mobility aid at home thinking you wouldn’t need it and wind up exhausted and in need of assistance? Do you have to find a place to rest and recharge before continuing the outing? Do you research the location before traveling there to make the establishment has handicap parking? Do you use a wheelchair for long distances but use a walker or cane when you don’t think your wheelchair is necessary?

leah-leilani replied 5 years ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • ralph

April 16, 2019 at 9:27 am

At home I am able to get around without any device, but when I go out I always have my cane with me. But what I have found very useful when I have traveled in a place where I may have to walk a great deal, especially around the city where there always pitfalls and curbs and potholes,  is to use hiking sticks. I Purchased these years ago and they give me a great amount of stability. I know in the future if I need I can always use a set of crutches, especially to go up stairs.  But when I travel I always pack my hiking sticks and they are easy to carry as they telescope down to a short length.  I’d love to hear what others do.

• leah-leilani

April 16, 2019 at 11:25 am

It is great when a product that is not designed for the disabled can help us so much. Mobility aids like crutches and walkers that don’t fold up are a pain to travel with so I can see why you would choose the hiking sticks. Plus, I’m sure you were able to avoid a disability tax since the hiking sticks aren’t medical equipment.