Muscular Dystrophy News Forums Forums Support Groups Adults​ ​With​ ​Muscular Dystrophy Winning awards as someone with a disability

• ralph

July 13, 2019 at 10:18 am

Leah, I think you bring up a lot of the points, but I’m going to say this – my column next week is important because it touches on exactly this topic. I hope you and others can read it. Aside from the debate about “disabled person” vs “person with a disability,” this issue you mention is the bigger issue. It is the elephant in the room, so to speak. People with what society calls disabilities have MANY abilities. Sometimes more than people who are not considered disabled by society. And I mention that, yes, there are medical and legal definitions of disability, but these have clouded prejudices and how we all the. React. I hope you can give me feedback on the next column and get it out to all your contacts because I want to hear from people. And I hope everyone reading this can join in. Thank you!

• leah-leilani

July 15, 2019 at 7:42 pm

I can’t wait to read your next article Ralph! I will be keeping my eyes open for when it is posted.