Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Today my occupational therapist suggested I get a cane specifically for my car to help me pump gas alone. Usually, I hold on to the side of my car and try and squeeze my core, so I don’t lose balance and fall. She also gave me a small handle attachment that you can put on your door to give you more stability when getting in and out.

Do you have a device that helps you do daily activities? Where do you keep it, what prompted you to use it?

Joy
      Participant

I have the thing that you hook to car door to help get out of car.  Best thing I ever bought.  If going in someone else’s car I just take it with me

Leah Leilani
      Keymaster

That’s so interesting. I’ve never heard of such a device. I should recommend this to my mom who is unstable on her feet when she’s weak. She uses a crutch to stabilize herself when she doesn’t have to walk too far.

Pete Barron
      Participant

I use a cane seat. When you walk it is a regular cane, but when you want to sit you kick out the two other legs and a small seat comes out. I perch on it when I need to be out on my feet for a bit, (like when I pump gas.) It’s not something I could comfortably sit on for more than 10 minutes or so, but covers the short walks. I have one at home and one that travels in my car. They cost less than $50 at mobility stores.

Jerry Quintana
      Participant

Costco gas attendants will pump your gas once you display your handicap placard. Give them a couple of horn honks, to get their attention. They are extremely helpful and courteous.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2021 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account