Muscular Dystrophy News Forums Forums Dating, Relationships, and Marriage Introducing your disease while dating online

• Introducing your disease while dating online

Posted by Leah Leilani on February 19, 2019 at 5:24 pm

When I first made an online dating profile I didn’t know whether to include my disability in my profile or not. I feared guys might not want to talk to me if I mentioned my disease in my profile. I ended up including a picture of myself in my wheelchair but no one really seemed to notice. However, if I told someone about my disease after messaging back and forth for awhile, I would end up getting ghosted. 

What do you think is the best way to introduce your disease when creating an online dating profile? 

Garry replied 5 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Leah Leilani

February 20, 2019 at 10:32 pm

This was a great article! I liked how it brought attention to many aspects of dating with a disability and being in relationship with someone with a disability. Hopefully, this article reaches able-bodies folks and give them a new perspective.

• Garry

February 22, 2019 at 2:39 am

I still haven’t made an attempt to disclose my disability on my dating profile but perhaps I will give it a shot but here’s an interview my sister just, hope this helps!

https://nowtoronto.com/lifestyle/love-and-sex/sex-and-dating-with-a-physical-disability/

• Danielle "Dani" Liptak

February 20, 2019 at 3:54 pm

What an awesome article! Thanks for sharing. The line ““Most people stress about what to wear on a date. I have to focus on if I can even get into the building,” really struck a chord with me. That is how I feel.