• Needing help with doors and elevators

Posted by Leah Leilani on November 25, 2019 at 4:00 pm

Today I went to the dentists for a check up. Getting in and out of elevators and doors is especially difficult for my mom and I because we both use mobility devices. As we attempted to get out of the elevator, the door began to close on me. I didn’t have the strength to keep it it from closing and yelled for someone to help me. None of the seven people in the hall moved. Thankfully, my mom came to my rescue but this incident but a damper on my belief in humanity.

Has something like this ever happened to you? How did you manage to get over it?

Leah Leilani replied 4 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Ralph Yaniz

November 26, 2019 at 6:51 am

There is definitely a need for elevator improvement and some I have seen are downright dangerous. There needs to be a button or something to let it know the person will need a little more time. Also when doors start to close they MUST have a good working sensor to reopen if someone is in the way. This is a big issue.

• Rameshan

November 28, 2019 at 2:08 pm

People’s attitude towards disabled people are confusing. I don’t whether to pity them or ourselves.

• Leah Leilani

December 2, 2019 at 3:37 pm

I agree with your point of view Ralph. Sensors should be required in ALL elevators. This would help so many people so much.

• Leah Leilani

December 2, 2019 at 3:41 pm

Rameshan, pitting ourselves could only worsen the situation. Although we disabled folks are the victims of these rude acts, it is clearly the able-bodied people’s problem. All we can do is to try to teach people be kind and considerate and hope that that message is received.

• Sam Dalton

January 28, 2020 at 2:09 pm

Elevators can definitely be a challenge.  The door always closes too fast.  Unless you back in, you have to sit with your back to the other people which is a drag.  As far as people not helping, I usually have somebody ask if I need help.  Could be my age (62)…they feel sorry for me maybe?   A lot of people are focused on their phones or whatever and aren’t aware of what is going on around them.  And some people just don’t care.  Kinda sad.  Sorry you had an incident.

• Leah Leilani

January 30, 2020 at 3:46 pm

Sam Dolton, is it just me or does it seem like new elevators are made to close the doors faster? I hate it when people won’t get off their phones. I’ve come so close to running over people that were glued to their phones.