Muscular Dystrophy News Forums Forums Support Groups Mental Health and Positivity Other People Disclosing Your Disability For You

• Ralph Yaniz

August 9, 2019 at 6:41 am

I have to say it really is something that hasn’t bothered me. Usually I see it as a good opportunity to explain about muscular dystrophy and all the different types and what my type is about. I know people never know about this so it’s always nice for me to be able to tell someone probably more than they wanna know ha ha. I’ve had family say in certain situations oh he has the disability or he is disabled and again that’s fabulous and I usually follow up then with what I have. I do find that normally people don’t ask and I’ve even run into some childhood friends and we say hello and later I think that was strange they didn’t even ask about me using a cane. Sometimes if we talk more than a moment I will just tell them.

• Leah Leilani

August 9, 2019 at 12:06 pm

If a friend of mine or someone who is becoming my friend doesn’t ask me about my  disability I take it as a sign that they see me regardless of my wheelchair but I still like to educate them about my form of MD.

• Ralph Yaniz

August 9, 2019 at 2:16 pm

Leah, agree, but I think the situation is different. For example when I see people that I haven’t seen in 20-30 years and remember I’m still walking and using a cane, I think the majority usually ask what happened. They don’t know I have a disability. They probably think it can be a million different things. But I agree everybody is different and some people may just not notice it, others may notice and not really see that as an issue to ask about and others are concerned and may ask if I have a bad knee or I hurt my ankle or something similar. But I would say the majority of people in that situation always ask what happened 🙂