Muscular Dystrophy News Forums Forums Support Groups Young Adults With ​MD Teen With MD Sets Great Example On and Off the Basketball Court

• Teen With MD Sets Great Example On and Off the Basketball Court

Posted by MD forums Moderator on May 1, 2019 at 6:50 pm

Austin Pinkerton may have muscular dystrophy but that hasn’t stopped him from enjoying his favorite sport, basketball. According to WHNT19 News, the senior at Hazel Green High School is the manager of the school’s varsity boys basketball team, the Trojans. Click here to read more about Austin’s story.

Austin is such an inspiration! Do you exercise? Have you ever played basketball? What’s your favorite sport? And are you still playing it?

Danielle "Dani" Liptak replied 4 years, 10 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Aric Hershley

June 7, 2019 at 9:21 am

This is an awesome story. I have LGMD2B, but I was lucky, I had the opportunity to play sports in high school before I started noticing my symptoms. Basketball has always been one of my favorite sports along with baseball, football hockey and golf. Unfortunately, I can’t play any sports anymore besides golf, I started to focus more on coaching with the help of my friends and family. For two years now I’ve been the head coach of my own basketball team! Muscular Dystrophy may slow us down, but it won’t ever stop us.

Thank you for sharing your story!

Aric Hershley

• Danielle "Dani" Liptak

June 8, 2019 at 7:51 am

Aric,

Thank you for sharing! That is really great that you coach! I played soccer for almost 8 years and after my diagnoses I just stopped, I wished I hadn’t. Reading that you have coach inspires me to see if I could try and help out a young sports team!

• Leah Leilani

June 7, 2019 at 4:42 pm

That’s awesome that you found a way to still be immersed in sports. Life with Muscular Dystrophy is all about adapting and finding an alternative way to do the things we love!