Muscular Dystrophy News Forums Forums Support Groups Adults​ ​With​ ​Muscular Dystrophy The Most Wonderful Time of Year for Allergies

• The Most Wonderful Time of Year for Allergies

Posted by Leah Leilani on December 5, 2022 at 4:00 pm

<p style=”font-weight: 400;”>Now that the temperature has dropped so has the humidity. Although I’m happy to not be boiling in the heat anymore, my health is struggling to adjust to the dry, crisp air.</p>
    <p style=”font-weight: 400;”>Instead of referring to this time of year as Autumn or Winter, in my household, it is called allergy and flu season. The nose bleeds and worsening of my post-nasal drip are a sign of the transitioning weather. Along with the ever-present need to sneeze.</p>
    <p style=”font-weight: 400;”>So, out comes the humidifier, the Navage Nasal Irrigation, and asthma and allergy meds.</p>
    <p style=”font-weight: 400;”><b>What do you do to manage your allergies and dry nose this time of year?</b></p>

Leah Leilani replied 1 year, 4 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Tracy Myall

December 7, 2022 at 8:08 am

I’m going crazy this time of year! Claritin in the morning and Benedryl at night are the only way I can breathe. I guess I should try a humidifier in my room, that might help. What doesn’t help is all the dust I have in this house from cats, dogs and parrots. I do have a whole home air purifier and portable room purifiers to help with that.

• Leah Leilani

December 19, 2022 at 12:47 pm

Tracy, I think you’re doing the right thing with having several air purifiers. Dani’s suggestions may help too especially with all that pet dander. Have you thought about seeing an Allergist for better solutions and maybe some medication recommendations?

• Danielle "Dani" Liptak

December 12, 2022 at 10:07 am

I have a Roomba that runs every couple of days and has significantly helped with dust and dander from my dog and cat. I also have a little wand with a dust cloth on it that I can use around fragile items or things that I can’t move easily. That along with having someone come and change my house’s air filters in the ceiling regularly has helped immensely with my breathing etc.

Are any of those suggestions feasible for you, maybe we can brainstorm a little more if not!