Muscular Dystrophy News Forums Forums Advocacy Work Monday Shoutout: PatientsLikeMe

• Monday Shoutout: PatientsLikeMe

Posted by Leah Leilani on May 3, 2021 at 4:30 pm

Shout out to PatiantsLikeMe. @patientslikemeinc ‘s mission is to improve the lives of new patients through new knowledge derived from real-life experiences.

PatientsLikeMe started with one patient, Stephen Heywood, who was diagnosed with ALS in 1998 when he was 29. His brothers, Jamie and Ben did everything they could to slow Stephen’s disease. They became citizen scientists, harnessing the power of any and all information they could. Today, PatientsLikeMe is the world’s largest integrated community, health management and real-world data platform.

Through PatientsLikeMe, a growing community of more than 830,000 people with over 2,900 condition share personal stories and information about their health, symptoms and treatments, with a goal to improve the lives of all patients through shared experiences. By connecting with people like them and advancements in our health network, patients can discover new path to improve their health today, and in the future.

Do you follow PatientsLikeMe on their social media accounts?

Leah Leilani replied 2 years, 11 months ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Tracy Myall

May 4, 2021 at 2:39 pm

I had never heard of them. But I am going to follow them now! It sounds like an interesting group to be a part of and maybe there are even people like me out there with Myofibrillar Myopathy. I know there are, but finding any information on my form of muscular dystrophy it’s so very difficult. Sometimes I feel like I’m alone in the world😔

• Danielle "Dani" Liptak

May 7, 2021 at 3:07 pm

I understand the feeling, sometimes it seems like no one gets the struggle. I am glad you shared your feelings and although we don’t have the same MD I want you to know you’re not alone.

• Danielle "Dani" Liptak

May 7, 2021 at 3:07 pm

I understand the feeling, sometimes it seems like no one gets the struggle. I am glad you shared your feelings and although we don’t have the same MD I want you to know you’re not alone.

• Pete Barron

May 4, 2021 at 3:19 pm

Thanks Leah, I had not heard of these guys before. Now I will follow them! It seems we all have expertise in navigating our own disease, sharing some of that “hard won” knowledge might keep somebody else’s journey from being so tough.

• Jerry Quintana

May 9, 2021 at 12:26 am

Leigh,would you assist me in logging in to, PatientsLikeMe? I would like to read about individual’s concerns regarding their symptoms.
    Thank you..Jerry Quintana

• Leah Leilani

May 25, 2021 at 5:23 pm

Jerry, here is the link to the PatientsLikeMe website. Just click on the highlighted area. I hope you find everything you’re looking for.